Pages

Jealousy, fear and a 5 a.m. wake up call

Last night I went to bed upset. I hate to admit the reason why…...Jealousy and Fear.


A while back I began watching a guy named ShayCarl on Youtube. He does a daily Vlog (Video Blog) simply about he and his family, the Shaytards. He started just 5 years ago and has slowly built a steady viewership and income on his simple, reality style videos. Along the way he moved his family from Idaho to L.A. and began helping to develop a youtube video content company called Maker Studios. Yesterday Maker Studios was bought by Disney for $500 Million with the potential for $450 Million more.


I was Jealous.Why him! Why can’t I get that lucky! That sort of thing just does not happen to everyday people.


I woke up however to a new perspective which is good because that last perspective was getting me nowhere.


Luck had nothing to do with it.


Overcoming fear and working hard had everything to do with it.


Last night fear was telling me all kinds of lies. It knows that jealousy is not a real form of motivation. Fear wants me to play the luck card. Fear wants me to believe that sort of thing does not happen to a guy like me.


Fear is a liar. And a thief. (“I only lied about being a thief” - Ocean’s 11)


Fear wants me to be the victim. Because fear gives the illusion of security. Fear tells me that its safe not to jump. That if I don’t jump, when I don’t succeed I can justify it.


Ugh…..fear sucks.


As I write this its a little before 6 a.m. My wife is up running and I am working. In about 2 hours I will begin to head into my job managing a warehouse for the lowest paying job I have ever had. A job that I am incredibly grateful for right now.


When I am not working at the warehouse I am dreaming and slowly working on 3 business startups. That is actually one of the reasons for my lack of blogging. I have not shared much with anyone about these 3 startups….and I won’t now.


Fear wanted me to sleep in this morning. Fear kept reminding me of how tired I will be later if I don’t get that extra 2+ hours of sleep.


And then I remembered little ol’ ShayCarl who just had the most financially successful day of his life. Who started with a very crazy, unrealistic dream just 5 short years ago. Had he told anyone his dream he would have been laughed off. Had he let fear convince him it was unrealistic or too far fetched or that only the lucky get that lucky….he would not have achieved what he achieved today.

My life won’t change because I woke up at 5:30 one morning. But I will be closer to that change. Fear won yesterday…..but today has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment