Pages

The Way God Whispers



I find that I spend most of my life listening and waiting for the whispers of God.

What should I do? Where should I go? What is my purpose? Where is fulfillment?

I ask these questions and more and then I wait…...and I wait…...and I wait.

Where are the answers? Where is Your guidance? Where are your whispers?

However recently I have been discovering that the whispers of God are more like a shout.

We can get so accustomed to listen for whispers that we do not realize that God has been shouting the answer to us from a mountain top all along.

I will give you an example.

The world longs to know the origin of the world and universe. Billions ponder this every day. How did we come to be on this floating rock perfectly rotating in the middle of space?

We search and we dig and we examine and we theorize. All the while the fingerprints of God or so evidently and easily seen in all of creation. God is whispering to us through the shout of His creation.

I see this in my own life. I am horrible with decisions. I overthink and delay and over think some more. All the while searching for the whispers of God. If God would just tell me the direction I should go all of this would be easier. More often than not when I come to my decision and realized I have chosen the right path I can look back and see that while I was waiting for whispers God was shouting the answer, the path to me all along.

Alot of times we also second guess the whispers of God. How can we be sure that answer did indeed come from God? Sure it lines up with what I know to be true in scripture. Sure its what my gut is telling me. But its so far from the norms of society. People will think I am a fool. Its so scary. Its so risky.

So we do that thing where the thunderous whisper of God is reduced to a mind game.

Its time to start listening. Its time to start trusting. Its time to start moving.

Ask the questions and watch and wait for the answers.

Listen for the thunderous whispers of God.

Here are some practical ways to do this:

1. Start a whisper log - Write the questions and then document the answers. Search the scriptures and document when you hear the whispers of God. This will allow you to continue to listen and keep it front of mind. Also it will allow you to look back in the years to come and see the pattern of God’s whispers in your life.

2. Look at yourself: God gives you specific skills, passions and abilities for a reason. He created you for a purpose. Knowing that purpose will help you to identify and decipher the voices of God from the loudness of the world. Know yourself. Find your gifts. That does not mean that God will never ask you to do something that stretches that gift but it will give you a good sense of direction.

3. Does it scare you?: I have found that the whispers of God are not always comfortable. Often the whispers of God are scary, frightening and daunting. Alot of times when something scares us it can be easy to write it off as not being from God when in fact the opposite is probably true. If it scares you it means you're probably on the right track. Think Jonah.

4. Be intentional: Carve time to listen. Find time to take a walk. Make time to watch a sunset. Prioritize time to dig into the scriptures. You will hear the thunderous whispers of God.

Listen. Move.

No comments:

Post a Comment