Pages

Bravery Lessons from a 5 Year Old


Last night I learned a great lesson on how to be brave from my 5 year old Daisy. This week was our church’s annual SBO Jr. (Vacation Bible School). At the end of the 3 day camp they have a quick program where they perform the songs and bible verse for the parents. As Daisy walked into the sanctuary I watched and waited for what she would do. I prayed for bravery for her but was prepared to encourage her after either way.

Flash back to last year at this same time. It was her first year at SBO and she was our first child to attend something like this. She was new to this and we as parents were new to this. None of us knew what to expect and so we did not prepare her to well. The children filed onto the stage and Susan and I watched as Daisy did not participate. She was still super cute and I was still a proud dad but it was hard to watch her stand motionless and serious while the other children were dancing around and having a blast.

This past Sunday Daisy moved into a new class for Church. Susan and I were able to come for part of the class and watch her as she feels out this new environment. She again did not really participate much but I could tell she was really listening and taken it in. The topic of the lesson was having a backbone.

That night as I was putting Daisy to bed we talked a bit about her lesson. This little girl who was so silent and still during church spouted out all kinds of knowledge about having a backbone and what it means to be brave and overcome fear. We talked about SBO coming up and how she would have an opportunity to sing and act out songs and would sing on stage in front of people. I could see it sinking in that she needed to be brave….but would she?

I know in the scope of things its not a huge deal whether she sings and acts out the songs on stage. The important thing I want her to do is overcome her fear. This may seem like a small thing but to a 5 year old things look and are much bigger. If Daisy could overcome this fear now what fears would she be able to conquer in her future.

So there we were sitting in the audience as the first song came on. I was standing in the back to get a good video of her. As soon as I stood up she immediately saw me and shot off a big wave and a smile. For the next 15 minutes I watched as Daisy sang her heart out and waved her arms as big as she could in the air to act out the motions. I literally held back tears because I was so proud. This shy little girl overcame her fears. She was brave. She was awesome.

I snapped the above picture as she was walking out of the sanctuary. Its not a great shot but it shows the joy she had knowing she had been brave and it panned out.

So as I often do, last night I dwelled on this moment. There are so many things in my life right now that I aspire to do. There are so many things that I have 90% completed but am holding back on that last 10%. In many of those instances its simple a lack of bravery.

And so as I watched my 5 year old be so brave last night it gave me courage. Courage to do things that scare me. Courage to try even if I might fail. Courage that, even if I don’t get the result I want or even if others don’t embrace it there will still be a brave little girl at home that will love me just as I loved her.

So whatever is freaking you out today….be brave. Whatever is holding you back…..be brave. Like my shy little 5 year old who stood on that stage in front of all those people and sang her heart out. 


Be brave today.

No comments:

Post a Comment